CRM Upgrade – Network name cannot be found error

When you follow the “lift and shift” upgrade method i.e. backup the old CRM database, restore it in the target environment and run deployment manager to import the organisation database, upgrade should be relatively easy. But, recently I experienced an issue that was such a pain to troubleshoot, I thought I will share this experience so that it will be helpful to others.

Below is the error I got when I import the organisation database using Deployment Manager.

Deployment Manager Error

This is what is captured in the deployment manager log (%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs)

14:36:39|   Info| CrmAction execution time; UpgradeDatabaseAction; 00:04:00.9426595
14:36:39|   Info| Executing Install action: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.InstallSqlClrHelperAction
14:36:39|  Error| System.Exception: Error.ActionFailed Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.InstallSqlClrHelperAction —> System.IO.IOException: The network name cannot be found.

   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Database.Helpers.CopyDatabaseFile(String sourcePath, String sourceFileName, Boolean isBuildEnvironment, String sqlServerName, String destinationFilePath, String destinationFileName, String& copyDestinationPath)
   at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.InstallSqlClrHelperAction.Do(IDictionary parameters)
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Shared.CrmAction.ExecuteAction(CrmAction action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)
   — End of inner exception stack trace —, Error, AbortRetryIgnore, Option1
14:37:38|   Info| InputResult: Retry

It looks like the database server name is wrong. But it is not. I used “Process Monitor” to troubleshoot the error. Here is what “Process Monitor” picked up.

Process Monitor Error

As you can see, the underlying error is a caused to lack of permissions to copy a dll file to a UNC path pointing to the database server.

Cause: McAfee Antivirus was blocking copy of any dlls through UNC path.

Resolution: Turn off “On Access Scanner” and “Access Protection” features of McAfee Antivirus during the organisation import.

In my case the KB article for SqlServerPathOverrides caused me to waste more time. I still had the same issue even after creating the network share, as McAfee was blocking all dll copy operations to UNC paths.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s